For the past 16 years or so, every year has involved Christmas wish lists. Some years the kids wrote their own letters before I could even broach the subject; other years we all sat around the table doing Christmas crafts (hey now, don't laugh! I did actually used to be quite the crafting parent), coloring in a picture I'd printed from somewhere and writing in our lists. Sometimes we'd make a crazy, fun list first - all the things we wanted. But then we'd make more realistic lists. I would join in and try to set a good example by asking for inexpensive items, most of which were practical but also a few fun things. I'd also be sure to not ask for TOO many things.
|We'd use a printable like this one from PrintActivities.com. |
Color it in and write out our lists.
|But I really like this one from SomewhatSimple.com|
This year I'm not doing the wish list with the kids. I'm on such a tight budget that reading Hellion's list will just depress me further. She's 10 going on 17. She wants everything and none of it cheap. She'll probably get some duct tape, a cutting board, and other craft type stuff. Pajamas, cuz that's a tradition! Phone case, iTunes gift card, stuff like that. The other kids are 17, 19 and 19 (no, not twins). I guarantee I probably can't afford even one item on their wish lists. So it comes to down to that wonderful saying, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." It won't be much, that's for sure.
So, no list making with the kids. It's my turn to make a list of what I really want. Why? Because the fun is in the imagining!
|Oh Hawaii, how I've always longed to visit...|
- An all expense paid week in Hawaii. This would include paying for my time off work, because I don't have enough vacation time to actually take a week off from work and still be able to pay my bills. All food, drink, air travel, lodging, and recreational activities would be included. Although I don't know that I'd want to do much recreation - sitting on beach drinking and eating for a week would be good enough!
- A new stereo for my car, including installation (because it's not like I could figure that out on my own). It doesn't have to be too fancy - I just want to plug my phone in and play my music through it.
- A bigger TV. Mine is 32in. So, pretty much anything bigger than that. LED, 1080p. Of course then I'd also need a stand for the TV or a wall mounting kit.
- A new bed. Queen sleigh bed would be awesome. Maybe tempurpedic - but really anything good quality.
- Home theater system so I can listen to music on something other than my laptop and for good quality sound while watching movies.
- Lasik surgery. For reals. I hate waking up and not being able to see anything. Or being in the shower squinting at my leg. Plus if I were to actually go to Hawaii I'd like to be able to buy and wear sunglasses without having to worry about contacts or prescriptions.
- A boob job. This is MY list. Let me dream. Yes, I'd like a boob job. My tube sock/deflated balloon looking boobs could really use some help. This would also be good to have before the Hawaii trip.
- Wardrobe overhaul! Tossing out everything I own and starting from scratch. Good quality clothing that fits well.
- Wine, wine and more wine. Red. Cuz, duh!
|A bed like this one - the headboard slants back, the footboard isn't too tall. |
This one is from City Liquidators.
By the way, I was attempting to put together a Gift Ideas board on Pinterest with fun and unusual gift ideas for those special people in your life. But life got busy, work got busy, so it's not quite as developed as I'd like. You can check it out anyway...